Monday 16 August 2010

Stairway to Heaven


This photo is of a typical street in my hometown in Italy. I lovingly call it 'Stairway to Heaven' as that is what it is to me.

It is a relatively unknown village called San Marco in Lamis, which is located in the province of Foggia within the Puglia (Apulia) region.

Okay, technically it's not my hometown (that would be Melbourne) however it is the hometown of my parents, grandparents, great grandparents and many ancestors before me.

After having visited there three times at the ages of 14, 21 and 35, I have fallen deeper and deeper in love with the land of my forefathers.

There's something about connecting with your roots and learning about your heritage, that gives the present moment perspective. I don't know what it is exactly, but it's a feeling. A feeling of love, pride, appreciation and belonging (perhaps that's why I feel free to call it 'my' hometown).

Since embarking on Project Grace 2010 five months ago, I set a course to find me and my mojo. As b-day approaches I realise that nothing was ever lost - it was just hidden. Hidden from me, by me and within me. Each day I am feeling more and more like the Grace I want to be. A Grace that is happy, strong, grateful and found.

This self discovery voyage is not unlike the journey into one's lineage. It's about taking time to reacquaint yourself with everything that makes you, you. It is very much a homecoming.

Our past forms the foundation of our present and when we stop running away from it, we can make peace with it, honour it, love it. Then, unexpectedly, something magic happens. Doors to the future appear.

Right now I am standing on a precipice. I am feeling calm and clear. I am so grateful for my past and hopeful for my future - both of which makes my present moment happy. One might say 'heavenly'. I keep wondering how long this feeling will last. So far so good.

Until tomorrow, don't be scared to go back and find your stairway to heaven.

Grace xx

PS. Click here if you wish to see more of San Marco in Lamis.

If you a. love me, b. love my blog, c. love this post or d. all of the above - please SHARE
Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

  1. Hi Grace , what is the name of this street (your pic)? It looks like the street of my grandma , where i used to spend my holidays when I was a kid ... It s full of loving memories and made me remind my deceased nonna who was so special to me ... Thank you so much for the pics ..parts of my past and golden childhood sudddenly dawned down on me and today even if it s a rainy day here in Belgium I can tell you that you 've brought sunshine in my heart :-) Grazie Grace :-) Bacioni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caroline, I'm sorry to say that I cannot remember the name of this street. I met so many of my great great aunts in San Marco it was amazing. Sadly they've all passed now, but the memory never goes. Looking forward to meeting you in Belgium and sharing San Marchese stories and sayings. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so fabulous to hear that you're feeling like yourself again and your mojo's not hidden anymore! Don't worry about how long it will last, just enjoy each moment by moment...calm and clear sounds like a beautiful feeling to have Jess xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jess... somehow going to Europe has helped reconnect me with my mojo - hmmmm... perhaps there's a blog in that!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...