Thursday 12 August 2010

Window Seat


Whenever I check into a flight, I always request a window seat.

Sure window seats may not be as comfortable or convenient as aisle seats (for leg stretching and toilet trips) but to me, it's all about the view (and the fact I can utilise the window as a headrest mid flight).

I love gazing at the world below and wonder whether there's anybody down there looking up at me. Who are they? What are they like? Where is there home? What are they thinking when they see us?

I get lost in my imagination while simultaneously marvelling at nature's magnificence. I am awed by the carving of the landscape. Such beauty. So humbling.

When I fly over central Australia (during daylight) my heart skips a beat. The intense red earth contrasting the brilliant blue sky is nothing short of breathtaking. This is my home.

Today I am happy to be flying home. I look forward to reconnecting with my family, friends and my husband, mentor and best friend Patrick (whose birthday it is tomorrow). A new adventure awaits.

Until tomorrow, please enjoy this wonderful extract from the quintessential Australian poem titled 'My Country' by Dorothea Mackellar (1885 - 1968).
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror -
The wide brown land for me!
In the words of Dorothy, there's no place like home.

Grace xx

ps. Happy birthday eve ZigZig - can't wait to see you xxooxx

If you a. love me, b. love my blog, c. love this post or d. all of the above - please SHARE
Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. thank you for a wonderful journey Grace. Loved it!

    x
    Liza

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...